I have been neglecting the garden this summer, and it shows. This is the garden as of June 5th. Everything needed weeding and thinning. Some plants have gotten thirstier than they should have, and I didn’t do enough weeding. Also, the weeding.
Here’s the weeding pile part way through. It ended up about twice this size. For the most part we did manage to get the weeds out before they went to seed, so that’s a good thing at least.
As we pulled the weeds out, here’s what I discovered:
- The corn never came up, except a few stocks. We pulled those out and planted beans.
- The peas are doing pretty well. There were some bare patches, so we planted another round of peas in those bare patches.
- The beets needed thinning, but were holding their own against the weeds
- The spinach never really got leafy, but already went to seed. Too much heat? Too much sun? I don’t know.
- The half of the garden which hadn’t been planted has many fewer weeds than the side where I had dug up the ground to plant.
Excuses Why I Haven’t Been Writing
Life has been pretty busy. Work has been busy. We had graduations to go to up in Michigan, Ryan’s softball practice and games, fishing and camping trips. Leaving my camera up in Michigan made it less fun to post, and the embarrassing state of my garden hasn’t been very motivating either.
We have done some fun stuff though!
Calvin got a model rocket for his birthday, which we built together and launched. Ryan got to launch his again too. We launched each one twice. Ryan’s got stuck in a tree on the second launch.
The boys and I went on our annual Father and Sons camping trip. We borrowed a canoe from a friend and had a great time. I think we need to get or make a canoe soon.
This post is fairly pathetic, but I have my camera again, the garden is looking a little better, and I’m back on top of work responsibilities, so I promise to start posting again more frequently!